Monday, December 18, 2006

Tradition of Joote Lo Paise Do: Redefined

Here's Pooja. My younger sister. The sweetest creature possible (only puppies are better, I guess). What she did on her (and mine) elder sisters's marriage was the best anyone can think of. So, here's a summarised version of what "Nautanki" she did on my elder sister's marriage:

The custom in question (you must have guesses it by now) is the "Joote Lo Paise Do" which takes place in almost every marriage in India. My didi and Jiju came to our house after the marriage and we were having a nice time-pass when she along with one of my cousins entered the room, excited like anything, and declared that they have hid the shoes and now, jiju must pay them to get the pair of shoes back. Jijaji agreed, reluctantly. Negotiation started. Pooja started off at 1 lakh (what a thinking !!! ) and jiju at Re1. The deal ended after an hour or so, when both of them stopped at Rs 1000. She got the money and went away ..... happy as never before.

But forgot to return the shoes. Now, the next day when jiju was leaving (along with my sister, ofcourse) he took his shoes and went away. And nobody noticed (no one was in a mood to do so, afterall, my didi was leaving) that he has wearing his own shoes which was not supposed to be there. Pooja was yet to take them out from her "top secret" place.

After they left, and we tried to return to normal moods, Pooja regained the Light of Truth. She tried to contact me and said (very sweetly, you know) " Bhaiya, I think the shoes I hid were yours and not Jijaji's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

And she was right this time.... :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahaha!
So it was like practice for you (for your very near future :D)